A 43-year-old man has reportedly been arrested in the sickening abduction, sexual assault and shooting of a 12-year-old boy in South Florida.
Aliex Santiesteban was booked into the Miami-Dade jail early Tuesday on charges of attempted felony murder, sexual battery with a deadly weapon and kidnapping a child under age 13, CBS Miami reported.
A source told the news outlet that police obtained a DNA match from the victim.
Santiesteban was collared about 6:30 p.m. Monday in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood, according to NBC Miami.
The boy was walking near NW 43rd Terrace and NW 30th Avenue in Brownsville between 2 and 3:30 a.m. Saturday when he was allegedly abducted at gunpoint by Santiesteban in a black four-door sedan.
“He said the driver got out, walked up to him and grabbed him and forced him inside the vehicle. Once he was inside the vehicle he tried to get out, but the child locks were activated. He couldn’t open the doors,” said Detective Alvaro Zabaleta of Miami-Dade Police Department, the CBS outlet reported.
Santiesteban drove the boy to an area near NW 45th Street and 31st Avenue, where he allegedly sexually assaulted him and shot him in the face, police said.
The boy was then forced out of the car and Santiesteban fled in the vehicle, according to authorities.
“The young boy was trying to fight him off during the struggle, the fight, he hears a loud noise. He didn’t even say bang. He said he heard a really loud pop, that’s when the subject opens the door and pushes him out of the car,” Zabaleta said.
Surveillance footage captured the moment a good Samaritan helped the boy get to a store so they could call 911.
“He was screaming, ‘Help! Somebody help me! Please! Please!’ So I bring him to the store while we call the police. Before he was unconscious, he fell on the sidewalk and he said he had been shot,” said the good Samaritan, who identified himself as “Johnny,” CBS Miami reported.
The graphic video showed the boy collapsing to the ground. He was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center in critical condition.
Zabaleta said the boy was stable Monday, adding that if the bullet would have gone a millimeter in either direction, it could have killed him.
“He still has a long way ahead as far as his recovery is concerned,” Zabaleta said, NBC Miami reported.
“It’s devastating to know that this individual, not only did he have to live the traumatic incident of being sexually assaulted, but then at the same time be shot in the face,” he added.
Zabaleta said the boy had snuck out of his home to visit friends without telling his parents, and had left pillows on his bed in case his parents checked up on him.