A Minnesota judge has delayed jury selection in the murder trial of ex-cop Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd, according to reports.
Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill sent the prospective jurors home Monday morning while prosecutors seek guidance from a state appeals court over a disputed additional charge of third-degree murder against the former police officer, Fox News reported.
“Just looking at the clock, we have jurors, but I think realistically we’re not going to get to any jury selection,” Cahill said in court. “We won’t have an answer until at least tomorrow.”
“So, unless any of the parties object I’m going to kick our jurors loose and start everything tomorrow with jury selection,” he said.
Chauvin is currently charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter, but Cahill tossed the additional charge last year.
The state attorney general appealed the ruling to the Court of Appeals, which ruled Friday that Cahill erred in dismissing the extra charge.
Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, said Monday he would file an appeal with the Minnesota Supreme Court, the state’s highest court, but urged Cahill to continue jury selection, Fox said.
However, prosecutors said they want clear guidance from the appeals panel before moving forward with the highly anticipated trial.
Chauvin, 44, is charged with killing Floyd on May 25 by pressing his knee to the back of his neck for nearly nine minutes during an arrest at a Minneapolis intersection.
The caught-on-video incident sparked worldwide protests against police brutality and racial injustice — prompting unprecedented security measures for Chauvin’s trial.